A great read for those who want to have a better understanding of:
- The culture in Manila’s ship manning and training community
- The various ways Filipino seamen and maritime cadets are screwed
- How Ferdinand Marcos shaped the Philippine maritime landscape, including maritime education, and influenced Filipino social values
- The factors that have influenced the character of Filipinos
- How expatriates can better adapt to Filipino ways
- Where the Philippines’ maritime industry is headed and the future of Filipino society
This book also offers a unique and compelling analysis of the legacy of the dictator Ferdinand Marcos and other factors that have helped shape the character of the Filipino maritime community and the society at large. It is a daring social commentary that should give readers entertainment as well as food for thought.
Barista Uno is the pen name of a former shipping and ports journalist known to his fans worldwide as BU. He is based in Manila and is the man behind Marine Café Blog (www.marine-cafe.com) and the author of the 2017 e-book, “Maritime Double Shots”.